So what is High School Book Club? Mrs. Presnell picks novels for the students to read on their own and gives them each a copy. The students have a deadline of when to complete the book then take a test. Students who qualify are then given the opportunity to come to the media center for pizza during 5th period and have a discussion on the book. Students can choose which novels they want to read and can participate at any time during the year. Watch for coming titles for this year’s Miner Book Club.
Book Club Titles for the year
- The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo
- Whisper by Lynette Noni
- Sadie by Courtney Summers
- A Curse So Dark and Lonely by Bridid Kemmerer
Middle school students are encouraged to participate in the Sunshine State Young Readers Award titles. You can find these at SSYRA 6-8. All of these titles are available for check-out in the Media Center. Middle school students that participate in this program by reading a minimum of 3 of these titles and passing an AR quiz on them can come to an ice cream party in the spring.
Florida Teens Read is a list of 15 titles that have been chosen by a committee of thirteen media specialists specifically to engage high school students in reading and reflect their interests as well as represent a variety of genres, formats, reading levels, viewpoints, and ethnic and cultural perspectives. High school students are encouraged participate in the Florida Teens Read Award titles. All of these titles are available for check-out in the Media Center.
Accelerated Reading quizzes are open for all students to take. Students should be reading a minimum of 30 minutes at home each day. Stop by the media center and Mrs. Presnell will be glad to recommend a great book. March is our last month to take quizzes and earn points for our AR incentive, so don’t miss out!
Home Connect is an online resource that allows you to track your student’s progress in the Accelerated Reading program. This is the website to access Home Connect and each student received a letter with the log on information from their Reading teacher. We have also included some additional information from Renaissance to explain Home Connect in English and Spanish. Contact Mrs. Presnell if you need any further information or help accessing the site.
SlimeKids is a website for elementary and middle school-age kids with book trailers, educational games and literacy-related resources. Check it out!
- ePAT for EOC
- FSA – Practice Test
- FSA – Student Comment Form
- FSA – TA Login
- TERC – Practice for ACT, SAT, EOC, FSA
- Gale e-Books
- Save the Tree Octopus
- Typing Practice for Students
- My Career Shines
- EOY Survey
Other Online Resources
- Citation Machine – allows students to type in information and create a variety of citations using different sources and different styles such as APA, MLA, Chicago…
- Ft. Meade Public Library
- Public Library Card Registration
- Polk County Schools Online Resources – a complete list of all resources provided by PCSB with a brief description of their purposes
- Florida Teens Read – a complete list of the Florida Teens Read books
- Sunshine State Young Reader’s Award books
- Fact Monster