Information about Getting a Public Library Card
Getting a library card is very easy. As a resident of Polk County, library cards are available at no charge. Parent or guardian of child will need to bring in proof of identification and residency, such as a valid driver’s license, utility bill or insurance card to their local library to get a library card. Residents, property owners and business owners, employees and students of Polk County Public Schools and employees of Polk County Gov’t and Polk County college students may qualify for a free library card.
A Polk County library card is good at all 15 public libraries, including special collection libraries like the Historical Genealogical Library and Law Library located in Bartow. We have a bookmobile making 13 stops throughout Polk County and B-Mail (books-by-mail ) offering free home delivery service (anything you can find in your library can be delivered to your home).
To get the ball rolling, parents can go online to register for a library card (follow link below) and pick their card up at their library.
If you didn’t get a chance to read these awesome Book Club selections this school year, then take advantage of summer break to catch on them. Check out the book trailers in the links beside each title below.
Book Club Titles for the year:
- Nearly Gone by Elle Cosimano
- A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmUzfydCpIc
- Sweet by Emmy Laybourne – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hon7zbZ98hY
- Every Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr3fNodyUFw
- An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMBOeiAwuTE
- Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UbsNfwkZwk
Sunshine State Young Reader’s Award Books
Middle school students can participate in this program by reading a minimum of 3 of these titles and taking an AR quiz on them. Passing those quizzes allows them to come to an ice cream party in the spring. Titles include:
- All Fall Down by Ally Carter
- Bot Wars by J.V. Kade
- The Crossover by Kwame Alexander
- Echo by Pam Munoz Ryan
- Frenzy by Robert Lettrick
- The Honest Truth by Dan Gemeinhart
- Insignia by S.J. Kincaid
- The Luck Uglies by Paul Durham
- The Neptune Project by Polly Holyoke
- Nickel Bay Nick by Dean Pitchford
- The Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy by Nikki Loftin
- The Summer I Saved the World in 65 Days by Michele Weber Hurwitz
- The Tapper Twins Go To War (With Each Other) by Geoff Rodkey
- Turn Left at the Cow by Lisa Bullard
- The Worst Class Trip Ever by Dave Barry
Florida Teens Read is a list of 15 titles that have been chosen by a committee of thirteen media specialists specifically to engage high school students in reading and reflect their interests as well as represent a variety of genres, formats, reading levels, viewpoints, and ethnic and cultural perspectives.Teens are encouraged to read at least three of the titles on the current list. Click here to see the YouTube version of this list.
Accelerated Reading quizzes are open for all students to take. Students should be reading a minimum of 30 minutes at home each day. Stop by the media center and Mrs. Presnell will be glad to recommend a great book. March is our last month to take quizzes and earn points for our AR incentive, so don’t miss out!
Home Connect is an online resource that allows you to track your student’s progress in the Accelerated Reading program. This is the website to access Home Connect and each student received a letter with the log on information from their Reading teacher. We have also included some additional information from Renaissance to explain Home Connect in English and Spanish. Contact Mrs. Presnell if you need any further information or help accessing the site.
SlimeKids is a website for elementary and middle school-age kids with book trailers, educational games and literacy-related resources. Check it out!
- ePAT for EOC
- FAIR (Reading, Language Arts)
- FSA – Practice Test
- FSA – Student Comment Form
- FSA – TA Login
- IBTP Student Registration
- IBTP – Teachers SSO
- Gale e-Books
- Save the Tree Octopus
- Typing Practice for Students
- Vocab Journey
Other Online Resources
- Citation Machine – allows students to type in information and create a variety of citations using different sources and different styles such as APA, MLA, Chicago…
- Polk County Schools Online Resources – a complete list of all resources provided by PCSB with a brief description of their purposes
- Florida Teens Read – a complete list of the Florida Teens Read books
- Sunshine State Young Reader’s Award books